Monday, September 20, 2004
This Is Not The Weather Channel
Kirk posted something titled
Bill and Casey are quick off the mark on this one and given my propensity to rant and rave on everything from politics to religion I'm gonna pop my two cents in as well.
I have the advantage that I'm not beholden to anybody when it comes to blogging. I'm my own boss, host my blog on my own server and as such tend to blog about what I feel like. I feel absolutely no obligation to people who read this blog other than to try my darnedest to be accurate and substantial in the things that I post. If you don't like my politics (devout libertarianism) then don't go near my politics category. If you don't like my religious views (devout atheism) then avoid my sacreligion category.... simple huh! Oh, and if you don't like my spelling, typos and grammar... bugger off right now!
I'm no 'self proclaimed expert', but, I take an active interest in politics and in my wonderful democracy that's a darn site better than many useless inert nothings manage. Kirks post almost infers that ones aptitude or capability in different pursuits are wholly unrelated. I think quite the contrary is true- from what i have observed if someone is a clued up cookie in one aspect of life (say technology) then chances are they'll be pretty smart in other areas as well. It's my submission that if your technical content is sufficiently useful to warrant someone like Kirk subscribing then you are most unlikely to be the sort of person who would make 'vote for X' or 'Y is a moron' posts. Rather, you are probably likely to be the sort of person who will at least have something useful, thought provoking and insightful to say on politics- whichever side you happen to say it about.
*Please note that the above applies to politics only. I shall continue to feel unrestrained in so far as calling religious people closed minded moronic idiots (in the nicest possible way). Religion being a fantasy about which nothing useful, thought provoking or insightful can ever be said.
Politics | Rants | Sacrilegion|Monday, September 20, 2004 9:50:05 PM UTC||
Sunday, September 19, 2004
Loon of the Week Revisited
OK... so a few weeks back I posted on a particularly brazen young Destiny Church follower who had been commenting a great deal over on DPFs blog..
A comment on that entry has kinda sparked my interest again... turns out our Destiny supporter is a Health Promoter (whatever that is) @ the Taranaki DHB. Anyway, interest rekindled, I thought I'd whiz through and see what proportion of posts looked like they were done on employers (read Taxpayer of NZ and thus me) time.
Let's be generous and assume a 12am to 1:30pm lunch window....
- Thursday 19th August, 12:13pm - Covered by our lunch window
- Friday 20th August 12:02pm - So far so good
- Friday 20th August 3:50pm - OK... Friday afternoon... was it Beer O'Clock maybe? Do 'health promoters' do Beer O'Clock?
- Firday 20th August 3:56pm - As above... now at this stage I'm worried I'll make a fool of myself because tommorow is a weekend!
- But it's OK... because we get radio silence until... she's back @ work on Tuesday the 24th @ 3:02pm - Now please tell me it's not Beer O'Clock on Tuesdays.
- Wednesday August 25th @ 9:06am... doing morning 'emails'?
- Wednesday August 25th @ 10:03am... still doing morning emails?
- Wednesday August 25th @ 10:04am... sure is a lot of emails?
- Wednesday August 25th @ 10:08am... can you say Acceptable Use Policy?
- Thursday 26th August @ 4:32pm... again... close enough to end of play to be a gimme.
- Friday 27th August @ 08:46am... without seeing the IP logs you've got to let this one slip for the possiblity of it being written @ home. Do civil service types get to work before 9am?
- Friday 27th @ 10:02am.... this one was a WHOPPER... must have been a good 20 minutes worth. Lurker even comments - I'm guessing naki-girl doesn't hold down a full-time job at the moment... I'm guessing naki-girl doesn't hold down a full-time job at the moment... ... dunno- are 'Health Promoters' full time?
- Friday August 27th @ 10:36am.... another biggie
- Friday August 27th @ 10:58am.... I ain't seeing much health promoting going down....
- Friday August 27th @ 11:35am... TGIF!
- Friday August 27th @ 11:49am... could call it a tithe @ this rate
- Friday August 27th @ 11:52am... thats 1 and 1/2 hours by my count.
- Friday August 27th @ 12:01pm... LUNCH TIME
- Friday August 27th @ 12:06 pm... still lunch...
- Friday August 27th @ 12:18 pm... and still lunch...
- Friday August 27th @ 12:36 pm... and still lunch... but then wasn't 10:30 till midday lunch today...
- Friday August 27th @ 12:54 pm ... still within our lunch window
- Friday August 27th @ 01:17pm ... Just as well we allowed for a long 'merchant bankers' lunch
- Friday August 27th @ 01:24pm ... lunch is almost over
- Friday August 27 @ 02:32pm ... and now lunch is indeed over.
- Friday August 27th @ 03:01pm... another monster post this afternoon.
- Friday August 27th @ 03:09pm ... almost Beer O'Clock.... surely
- Friday August 27th @ 03:17pm ... it's been a long day at the coal face really hasn't it.... driving Gods Chariot...
... and that's all folks... so let's summarise.
28 posts. 9 within our lunch window, 1 that we suspect as being an early morning not @ work post. So that leaves 18 posts on work time... many of them pretty substantial. Seems god promotion won over health promotion this week.
Politics | Sacrilegion|Sunday, September 19, 2004 9:40:36 AM UTC||
Friday, September 17, 2004
Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
Robert Levy Is Insane!
Ok... so Rob has re-ignited the flame @ http://robertlevy.net/ and the first post back he talks about his car... and his insurance... the man is insane... let me quote a little.
Getting screwed on car insurance. Now that I actually have my own car I gotta start paying insurance and boy does that suck. Right now I'm paying over 250/month...
This is just mad...US$250 a month == NZ$384 a month... To put that in perspective, that is NZ$4 more than I pay to insure my Subaru GT Legacy Twin Turbo 206kw Extremely Nickable For Ram Raiding 'Space Rocket With Wheels'....
And more importantly that's NZ$380 per year, not per month.
Eee youch!.... Should I ever take the red pill I'll sure as hell be joining Ericgu @ the LBS and buying myself a shiny new bike... can't believe Eric doesn't like the color scheme on the Litespeed..... Titanium is like... so sexy!
Rambles|Tuesday, September 14, 2004 11:03:45 AM UTC||
Chapman Tripp Tech Law Update
...wow! I was Googling my own name (to find a recent photo of myself) and found that I had been quoted in the Chapman Tripp Tech Law newsletter. This is actually kinda cool as Chapman Tripp were the only law firm I applied to after finishing law school. I think they were keen to have me but it was still going to be a HUGE drop in earning from being an IT guy...
Kognition|Tuesday, September 14, 2004 5:35:44 AM UTC||
Thursday, September 09, 2004
The run on self congratulation
Sorry to all of those RSS subscribers out there.... the recent run on self congratulatory blog posts is becuase I've decided to make the news page on our new look company web site simply a tap off a category on my blog. That way it is harder for me to neglect the all important comapny news... like I have done in the past.
So. Going forward you will get the odd PRish post coming out of this blog too..... should make a nice change from some of the other ranting I do.
Rambles|Thursday, September 09, 2004 10:37:42 PM UTC||
Thursday, September 02, 2004
Tuesday, August 31, 2004
The M82 is a beast of a gun. It fires the same rounds as the .50 cal machine guns that we use. It's heavy and extremely loud. You'll see what I mean in the movie below - it literally causes a shockwave that shakes the ground enough to raise a big cloud of dust for like a 4 or 5 foot radius around the gun. I've used the rifle a lot in computer games like Ghost Recon, so I was eager to see how it handled in real life. It's got quite a bit of kick, and of course the games don't do the noise or shock of firing it any justice whatsoever. I'm sure firing it from anything but prone and braced position would knock me on my butt.
Army Steve gets to play with some cool war toys.
Human Aggregation|Tuesday, August 31, 2004 9:26:36 PM UTC||